Research recently published by Cancer Research UK has highlighted 'red flag" symptoms for possible cancer.
If you have any of these symptoms, please consider consulting with your GP so that your symptoms can be assessed. Please note that many of these symptoms can arise from causes other than cancer. If you have any of these symptoms it simply means that cancer needs to be considered as one of the possible causes.
1. Persistent cough or hoarseness - could indicate lung cancer
2. A change in the appearance of a mole - could mean you're suffering skin cancer
3. A persistent change in bowel habits - could be a sign of bowel cancer
4. A sore that does not heal - depends on where, a mouth ulcer could mean mouth cancer
5. Persistent difficulty swallowing - can mean a person is suffering oesophageal cancer
6. Unexplained weight loss - can indicate several types of cancer
7. Persistent change in bladder habits - could be a sign of bladder cancer and prostate cancer in men
8. An unexplained lump - can be a warning sign of many forms of the disease
9. Persistent unexplained pain - depending on where, can denote many types of cancer
10.Unexplained bleeding - depends where but can mean bowel, cervical or vulval cancer